Law Office of Edward S. Matisoff
Westlake Village Family Law Firm
Free Consultations Call 805-666-0980
Areas & Topics

Woman in another state says child support system is fractured

Not every parental agreement following divorce goes as planned. Some California parents face serious challenges when former spouses refuse to adhere to existing court orders regarding child support, custody or visitation. This can make life very stressful, to say the least.

In fact, a woman in another state says she has just about reached the end of her rope after tirelessly working to enforce an existing court order mandating her former husband to pay child support. She believes she knows the state where he currently lives but admittedly does not know much else about his life at this time. This is the cause of one of many frustrations because she said officials who are supposed to be tracking him down to enforce the child support order keep asking her personal questions regarding his physical appearance, the answers to which she has no way of knowing.

An attorney the woman spoke with about her problem told her it can be very difficult to find people who want to keep themselves hidden. With experienced investigative efforts, however, it is often possible. Once a parent who has failed to meet child support payment instructions is located, the court can take action to secure payments.

Jail time is a possibility for California parents who refuse to pay child support ordered by the court. State laws vary regarding the issue as a whole; some enforce wage garnishment and other means for obtaining overdue payments. Anyone facing current problems related to this issue can seek support by requesting consultation with a family law attorney.

Source:, "Consumer Watch: Oklahoma mother says she's fighting losing child support battle", Mireya Garcia, Sept. 21, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Law Office of Edward S. Matisoff
3625 E. Thousand Oaks Boulevard
Suite 113
Westlake Village, CA 91362

Phone: 805-666-0980
Fax: 805-379-6722
Map & Directions