Law Office of Edward S. Matisoff

Westlake Village Family Law Firm
Free Consultations
Call 805-666-0980

Tips for creating a parenting plan

When a judge awards you joint custody in California, you’ll have to figure out a completely new way to raise your child. Since you and your former spouse won’t be living together anymore, you’ll have to adjust to life as a single parent half the time and accept that your child will spend the other half at your former spouse’s house. How can you effectively co-parent when you’re no longer living together?

Tips on creating a parenting plan

You can’t control what happens when your child stays at their other parent’s house. However, you can create a parenting plan that ensures that both parties are on the same page. A good plan gives you and your former spouse equal parenting time and incorporates your child’s specific needs. You don’t need to let a young child dictate your parenting plan, but you can ask your child what they want and how you can make the most out of your time together.

If you have any concerns, make sure you bring them up as soon as possible. Your divorce attorney might help you seek further legal action if you believe that your former spouse is an abusive parent. If you have less urgent concerns about your child’s health, diet, education or anything else, you should still bring them up before they become a bigger issue. Your former spouse can’t correct their behavior if they don’t know that there’s an issue in the first place.

How can you make divorce easier on your children?

Divorce is incredibly stressful for children, especially if they’re too young to understand what’s going on. Your child might not understand why they have to go to a new school or why their parents aren’t living together anymore. An attorney could help you resolve your divorce as quickly and easily as possible to reduce the stress on your child.