Child Custody Matters Involve And Affect Children
Decades Focused On Peacemaker And Advocacy Services
At the Law Office of Edward S. Matisoff in Westlake Village, I understand how important your children are to you. I am an attorney who is very mindful of the effect that any family law matter can have on your children. Whether in a court or mediation setting, I will do what I can to help you shield your children from the impacts of divorce and support your relationship with them. This includes providing honest and direct advice and pushing you to consider the potential impact decisions could have on your children’s lives.
Mediation and collaborative divorce are processes that, when appropriate, can be very beneficial for family law matters in the best way possible. Here is why. Even though children do not witness what goes on in court, they can still be affected by those events in indirect ways. Conflict in the courtroom often follows you home, pitting one parent against the other and potentially harming relationships forever. Mediation, on the other hand, helps build a healthy foundation for co-parenting in the future.
Parents who share custody will have to develop a parenting plan. A judge will not know what will work best for your family or spend time on the minutia. In mediation, you have control.
The Best Interests Of The Child Standard
Under California law, a judge will make all child custody and visitation decisions and approve voluntary agreements based on what is in the best interests of the child. A judge will consider many equally weighted factors in determining the best interests of the child. These factors include:
- Age of the child
- Relationship between the parents
- The preferences of a child deemed sufficiently mature
- Current living situation for the child, benefits of maintaining continuity and stability of proposed arrangements
- Child’s involvement in his or her current school and community
- Each parent’s willingness and ability to cooperate with the other in the care of the child
- Each parent’s ability to provide love, affection and guidance
- Motivations of the parents and whether they will encourage a relationship with the other parent
- History of family violence, neglect or abuse
- Any other relevant factors
Realistic Advice | Genuine Concern For You And Your Child
As a parent, I care genuinely about the effect my representation will have on you and your child’s life. As your lawyer or third-party adviser, My role is to provide you with the honest and experienced advice you will need to make confident and informed decisions.
Contact me at 805-666-0980 for a free initial consultation. I will make myself available on evenings and weekends when your schedule requires. You can also send me an email, and I will contact you.