Law Office of Edward S. Matisoff
Westlake Village Family Law Firm
Free Consultations Call 805-666-0980
Areas & Topics

Business owner from another state facing child support problems

California parents who are no longer connected through intimate relationships with each other but merely interact as necessary regarding their children often have court decrees that address the terms of their parenting plans. While the court may take parents' opinions into consideration on child custody or child support matters, once it issues a decree, all involved parties must adhere to the court's order, whether they like it or not. If one parent, for instance, refuses to pay child support that the court has ordered, he or she will likely face serious legal problems.  

A man known as the taxi king in another state understands this type of situation all too well. In fact, he was recently led out of a courtroom in handcuffs. The four police officers escorting him were taking him to his new, temporary residence -- a jail cell. The man is a taxi cab business owner (who has also faced legal problems regarding his business) who is the father of two children. It was his 14-year-old son's mother who sought justice for his alleged refusal to pay child support.  

As the man was exiting the courtroom, he is said to have lamented his situation to the judge, saying he was not aware that he owed the money, and if he had been, he would have merely brought a checkbook to court to satisfy the debt. The judge apparently did not look favorably on his behavior and ordered the man to jail to await his sentencing. He may spend up to six months in jail for owing $100,000 of support money.  

The same man recently pleaded guilty to tax evasion to the tune of $50,000. If a California parent accused of not paying child support can show the court evidence that a clerical error has been made, it may mean the difference between resolving the situation outside a jail cell or facing serious penalties. A parent who is unable to meet the existing terms of a court order for child support may petition the court for modification of the order but must adhere to its terms unless and until such modification is granted.  

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Law Office of Edward S. Matisoff
3625 E. Thousand Oaks Boulevard
Suite 113
Westlake Village, CA 91362

Phone: 805-666-0980
Fax: 805-379-6722
Map & Directions